Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Z3 - Zounds! That Was a Lot of Work. I'm Zonked





Yesterday was the once-a-year fund raiser held by Christian Women's Club that raises money to provide Christmas gifts for the Mission Couples that Stonecroft Ministries supports. For the last couple of years we have joined forces with the Noon Exchange Service Club that meets the same time we do in another banquet room.

For years they have held a decorated wreath and tree auction to raise funds for needy families. So, on this one Tuesday a year, we meet together, eat together, make the decorative trees and wreaths to donate together, and bid on the auction items together! Truthfully, they do much more of the work and much more bidding than do our "older" ladies, but they do keep a larger percentage of the resulting funds.

Here is how it works. In August or September at our meeting, we signed up to decorate either a wreath or a small, table-top tree. Exchange Club purchases the artificial wreaths and trees at a discounted price. At the October meeting we pick up our tree or wreath. Then each person spends his or her own money to light and decorate. Then we bring them back on auction day, and all together they make a splendid display. Then we spend even more money buying back a decorated wreath or tree. Actually, last year I bought BACK the tree that I had already spent tons of money on to decorate! Can you imagine? But, I had grown fond of it, and couldn't bear to part with it.

This year I chose to do a wreath. I made poinsettias out of satin ribbon, along with other decorations, and a large red satin bow. It was very traditional, but pretty, and it sold at a pretty decent price. (I didn't bid on my own this year.)
The items sold well, I think. The highest price was about $90.00, with the average being about $40 - $45, I think. Some of the items were really beautiful and unusual.
There was a leopard print small trunk used as a container for a tree decorated in exotic feathers and animal print decorations. I think it brought the highest price.

I bought a very pretty wreath done in greenish-gold and shiny grapes, sprays, and
two green poinsettias - really pretty. But it was bid up and up and up. I payed way too much!

The thought occurred to me that we could all just donate about a third of the money we spent and probably make more money for missions. BUT - we wouldn't have reason to meet, eat, and have so much fun. And we wouldn't have seen the beautiful room full of Christmas that put us in the mood for the holidays to come. AND - folks always grumble about donations - don't they? And, many of us had the fun of creating something new and unique.

Oh, by the way. In the picture you see a tiny little tree that I already had at home. I decorated it in Scotty dogs, and tartan plaid ribbon, in honor of the Highland Scots High School that closed this year. It sold for $20! - probably for someone's child or grandchild who went to HHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment