Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Shouldn't You Put Brothers in the Attic?

At long last I have come to the final room (or two rooms)  in my childhood memories doll house.  And, at long last I have finally gotten even with those big brothers who always had the first choice and best bedrooms in the house.  Remember, that I didn't have my own room until I was eleven years old!  Up until then I had a cot in the corner of the dining room or living room.  Poor child!  Don't you feel sorry for me?
Truth be spoken, I can't recall that I ever minded my little cot, and I always slept like the proverbial log.

Anyway, in my doll house I have put my brothers' rooms up in the attic, under the roof.  But I think they look pretty swell.  Don't you?  In fact, my brothers' rooms never looked this neat.  It is impossible to find doll house- sized dirty socks and clothes to strew about.  So I gave up and made their rooms look like those occasions when Mother cleaned their rooms in desperation when company was expected.  We did have the bunk beds in one room and the double bed in another.  But I think that, more often than not, the bunks were set up as twin beds.  However, the bunks fit better up under the doll house roof.

In the bunk room you find the basketball and trophy from the Anderson Indians state final championship game in which brother Clyde played.  The state champion tournament was the most exciting day of my childbood.  The Anderson Indians won the Indiana state championship in 1946, so I would have been 10 years old.  Mother and Daddy had seats in the team parents section (good seats).  David, Dan, and I sat way at the top of Hinkle Field House.  But did we care?  Not a bit.  We were so excited.  Clyde was just a junior so he was not a starter on the team.  He did get into both games (afternoon and evening), but only for the last minute or so.  I was so happy!  I told everyone with hearing distance that he was my BROTHER!
Between games we had supper in a private dining room at a very nice hotel along with other team parents. We had fried chicken.  Pretty exciting stuff for kids who didn't get to eat out often.

And after the championship game, they brought the team back to Anderson and took them around town on a fire truck that ended up back at the high school gym for a big celebration.  Dave, Dan, and I got away from Mother and Daddy.  Guess what.   We ended up climbing on the stage with the team.  Mother and Daddy were so embarrassed.  But, in all the excitement, they forgot all about it.

Clyde eventually went to Butler University where the famous Hinkle Field House is located.  It is the field house featured in the movie Hoosiers.  The tournament was just as exciting as the one portrayed in the movie.

You see signs on the bedroom walls showing that besides Clyde going to Butler, Jack went to Indiana University, and David to Ball State.  Dan didn't go to college, but went right into the Navy.  All my brothers had military experience.  Jack was drafted into the 2nd World War as soon as he graduated from high school.   Then he did some ROTC at IU to help pay for his college.  Clyde also did AFROTC, and eventually served in the air force after college.  David did army service and also army reserves.    They served their country, and helped pay for their own educations.

If you have teen-aged brothers or sons, you know that there may not be a "No Girls Allowed" sign on the door.  But, really, do you want to spend time in such a messy place?   Maybe, even in real life, they would be better placed up in the attic, and under the roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment