Tuesday, February 18, 2014

How to Hasten a Bone Scan

Today (well, actually yesterday since it is after midnight) I had to go to St. Vincent's Hospital and have a bone scan.  This is the test where they inject into your blood stream a radioactive tracer.  Then they have you wait for 3 hours and come back for the scan.
During the scan you must lie on the back and hip that are already giving you pain.  And you must lie perfectly still while the machine scans you from head to toe for 45 minutes.  It is a lot of fun.
So I decided that I would try and occupy my brain with pleasant thoughts so that I might ignore the pain and pass the time more quickly.
Listening to the news this morning, the weather people from whom we've heard such bad news yea these many months, promised that Wednesday of this week would be almost spring-like, and would be the best weather that we would have for the rest of February.
So, I decided that I would mentally plan a trip for Wednesday, a trip that would include as many of my favorite things that my brain could think of during a 45 minute scan.  And to help me come up with as many favorite things as I could, I started making the list in alphabetical order.  This is what transpired:

                                                                  A.
We will travel by Auto from Anderson on this first decent day.
We'll Access Sirius radio Along the way.
Maybe Alison Kraus will sing a country song.
I'll channel the Alto and sing along.
We'll find an Area of interest to make a stop,
Maybe an Antique Mall to browse and shop.
                                                                  B.
For sure, we will Browse, and maybe we'll Buy,
Especially if some Books catch my eye.
Then it will be time to take a Break.
                                                                   C.
Maybe Coffee and Cookies, or maybe some  Cake,
And, of Course
                                                                    D.
I must search for Doll house stuff,
Mini Dolls, Dishes, Doggies - I never have enough!
                                                                    E.
But, if minis are not to be had
Earrings and collectible Eggs wouldn't be bad.
                                                                    F.
And when we are Finally Finished and our Funds are low,
We will Find the exit and home we will go.


And just then the technician arrived at my side and said,
"That's it.  We are all done with the scan."

No comments:

Post a Comment