Monday, April 7, 2014

A Little Town with a Big Fast Train and a Moose

It is Wednesday, and we find ourselves with nothing special on the schedule.



I had read an entry on Matt Rust's Facebook that he and Melissa took the twins to Farmland where they had ice cream cones.  Of course, as they always do, they took an adorable picture of the adorable twins in front of the restaurant called "The Chocolate Moose", famous, I guess, for their ice cream.

Someone had left a comment that they used to work at The Chocolate Moose in Farmland, and that it was famous for the best tenderloin sandwiches EVER.

So Don and I made the trip to Farmland, a little town between Muncie and Winchester.  As a child when we drove to Muncie my brothers and I would drive our parents crazy by saying the names of the little towns in between Anderson and Muncie over and over. " Chesterfield, Daleville, Yorktown, Muncie."  Then we would proceed through the alphabet: "Besterfield, Baleville, Borktown, Buncie."  You get the picture.

On Wednesday I could envision little children driving from Muncie to Portland saying, "Parker City, Farmland, Winchester, Portland."  Over and over through the alphabet.  That was my one deep thought for the day......that is what my mental condition has come to.

Anyway, we drove to Farmland and found this rather charming little town with one main street to which have recently been added rather quaint gas-light type street lamps and a whole line of matching rural -type mail boxes lined up soldier fashion all up and down both sides of the main drag.  But the most astounding thing was the train track that ran smack dab through town crossing this main street.  Three times while we were there, very long freight trains barreled through town going full speed and blasting their horns.  Wow!  Those trains actually rattled the buildings.  That must be something for the folks of Farmland.

We did eat at the "Chocolate Moose."  It is the only restaurant, other than a pizza place, in Farmland.  It has been there forever, I think, but is quite a clean, nice place.  The tenderloin was delicious, and the chef was about my age.  Bless her heart, she had to lean on the counter as she cooked, much like I have to do in my kitchen.  Thank God I don't have to cook in a restaurant.

We completed our little trip with a stop at the one antique store in downtown Farmland, and made some tiny purchases to remind us of a fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment