Thursday, July 17, 2014

Our Neighbors, The Doves

This spring and summer we have been serenaded with the lovely songs from Mr. and Mrs. Mourning Dove.
I know it is supposed to be a sad song, hence the name "mourning dove", but I think it is a lovely peaceful sound.  I am always happy when we have doves living in our yard, they are such sweet birds.

I guess they are monogamous, and remain loyal to one mate all their lives.  They have become a symbol for happy marriages.

When Taylor was here last week and trimmed some large shrubs for us.  He made a discovery while trimming our large forsythia bush.  He was trimming away, and suddenly saw this nest with Mrs. Dove and two babies sitting in it.  Awww, he had trimmed away most of their protection and shade.  However they remained in their nest until this week.

Now the babies have taken their first tentative flights and seem to be living mostly under a shrub right beneath the bedroom window.  I watched today as Mother Dove flew down, gathered them to her, and fed them whatever was in her beak.  They are so sweet.  I hope they stay safe and grow to full adulthood.  I'm afraid they will choose another yard for any future nests, since we so ruined this spot for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment