Saturday, July 3, 2010

O2 - Ought to's

I have a friend, Clara Thompson, who used to write a column in our local newspaper, I think it was called "A touch of Claraty" or something like that. When she left that job and moved to Hagerstown, she wanted some way to keep in touch with both her friends and her writing. So, for several years now she has written an E mail newsletter that she sends to many of her friends. She started out calling it the Morning Pages or MP. But eventually they often became
AP if written in the afternoon, or EP for evening.

In one of my favorites, she started out talking about all the things she should be doing that day:
I should clean up my desk, I should do a load of washing, I should weed the flower bed, etc. etc.
Then she ended with my favorite of all her gems of wisdom, "But I promised that I would not
should on myself." I loved that, and I've adopted that philosphy ever since.

But I do like to put some ideas out there, a kind of list of things that might be fun to try this summer. I think that "ought" is a much more positive word to use, and therefore inspires a more positive list of activities. What do you think?

This summer I "ought to":

Go to Bear Creek Farms, eat and hear some music, maybe Phil Dirt and the Dozers! Yes!
Try that recipe for Dulche de Leche ice cream topping.
Make a campfire, and watch the stars.
Toast some marshmallows.
Use that antique Dutch cast iron pan to make a pot pie.
Visit our old friend, Beth, at the Cambridge City Antique Mall.
Collect all of the Jane Austen novels.
Play the dictionary game again, or some call it the Fictionary game. So fun!
Get a pedicure, and maybe even a manicure. But I desperately need the pedicure.
Take a cruise down Lake Freeman on the Madam Carroll.
Sleep out in Holloman's motor home.
Do something creative with the miniatures I still have stored in the garage.
Finish those two shadow boxes.
About once a week, call an old friend I haven't talked to for awhile.

That's enough already. Summer's half over!

No comments:

Post a Comment