Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Cleaning Job

It has been a few days since I posted any news here at the old blog site. But, truly, has there been anything interesting to write? This winter weather is putting a damper on activity of most kinds. I am just trying to think of anything that I did on the weekend.

Well, we did get a very nice surprise when we went to visit Mother at G.L. in Muncie Saturday morning. When we walked into her room, Cheryl and Jon were there visiting.
Mother did love having all of us visit. Mother loves Cheryl so much. She just opens up and talks and talks when Cheryl is there. Now, the talking isn't understandable to those listening, but underneath it all I know she has some important thoughts in mind. Sometimes you can even catch snatches of sense that give a clue into what idea she is trying to convey. The only bad part of the visit was that it was even harder for her to let us leave. Then Cher, Jon, Don and I went to Steak and Shake and had a very good lunch. It was so good to see the Hollomans up and cured from their colds. We enjoyed our visit.

Monday I worked at the hospital info desk. I couldn't eat any solid food after 11:00 am, because Tuesday morning (yesterday) I had a colonoscopy (everyone's favorite.)
So Monday evening and Tuesday morning I really had to concentrate on the"Prep" time.
I looked at that 64 ounce bottle of Gatorade and thought, "No way can I drink all that." Besides you must take 4 Dulcolax tables Monday afternoon, and 4 more Tues. morning. And you add this large jar of laxative powder to the Gatorade! They have a tiny little 1/4 ounce cup with the powder which measures the usual dose. But for this event, you must ingest the entire jar. Let's just say, I'm no housekeeper, but I did one heck of a cleaning job Monday and Tuesday!

The procedure went well, is actually quite easy once you get there and get the lovely anesthesia. I was quite happy to turn myself over to the professionals and let them do the rest of the work. Happily everything tested fine, and I need not return for five years (or maybe I'll decide to never return.)

I napped on and off the rest of Tuesday, getting the most out of the lovely anesthesia. Of course, by bedtime I was nicely awake, so I finished the latest book,
"Rhode Island Blue" by Fay Weldon. She is a very different kind of author: British,
funny metaphors, quirky looks at everyday existence, quirky characters. I did get some laughs at her look at elderly life (people my age, that is.) Two outrageous widows (neighbors) are living in their huge houses spending their multiple dead husbands' money. One widow is hard of hearing and yells everything she says. She drives with one foot on the brake, and one on the accelerator, bumping along in her Mercedes, stopping frequently to see if she has hit anything.

One widow, Felicity, calls her granddaughter home from London because she thinks she has had a tiny stroke. Well, much happens both in London and Rhode Island and through the meandering thoughts of the characters we learn about the heartaches involved in the family's history. Felicity ends up selling her mansion and going to a pseudo-
elegant retirement home with a quack doctor and evil nurse Dawn. There is a very hilarious and satisfying escape to end this funny book.

Well, it is well past bed time, so I think I shall go crack open a new book and see if it will put me to sleep. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment