Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Is There a WOW in a Snow-filled WORLD?

Snowed-in is not really an accurate description of this day. A more truthful assessment of the situation is that I've elected to stay in from the snowy day.
I DID go to the beauty shop this morning, what with Don driving me from the garage to within three feet of the beauty shop door. As one of my several principals once said, "Nothing should come between a woman and her beautician."

That three feet of ice between car and door encouraged me to stay in this afternoon. The group of retired teachers that has met for 40 years was to meet at MCL for lunch. I know that a few will be there, and I shall miss the fun we always have, but my new hip is appreciating this afternoon time off. It, along with my knees are so stiff in this cold weather.

I seem to be waiting longer and longer periods of time between blog entries, and I am sorry that I have been so----shall we say lazy, or is it uninspired? I think that all the disheartening news coming across the TV and in the newspaper has discouraged any positive thinking on my part. It would be so easy to become sad and negative at this time in history. Birds are falling from the sky, fish are dying by the thousands, maniacs are killing senselessy, and there are so many devastating weather events around the world! It makes one wonder!

I have been so much out of my usual positive state of mind that I resorted to cleaning out drawers and closets. Now, you know just how drastic the situation is!
But, there have been some very positive therapeutic aspects to this cleaning. My office/craft room is looking very spiffy, indeed. I love my little room,but it does get very messy when I am in the middle of projects. Our house is decorated in rather muted shades, I love blues, greys, lavenders, etc. But in the craft room I have gone a little more daring. I have a quilt on the day bed that a former neighbor made. It has a white background that supports every bright, primary colored design. Upon the bed I have pillows in red, greens, and yellows. I have some watercolors that I painted in a class that have lots of yellows and greens.
I have pictures of loved ones and remnants of miniatures from my miniature-making hobby. The room makes me happy! - especially when I get it cleaned up.

AND, the closet is organized, with like items in labeled containers. I can actually walk in and find a wanted item. Now, let's see how long this situation will last.
It will last - until I begin another project. After all, what is the purpose of having a craft room, if one does not engage in craft projects?

When I started reorganizing my book shelf, I found at least three old journals that I started at various times in the last few years. I received one as a gift when I retired, and that summer I faithfully kept the journal for longer than I have ever stuck with a plan. I found another that I kept after Christmas a few years ago, when I received a lovely leather journal as a gift. It only lasted until mid January. Another I kept when I was teaching an adult literacy student. We both kept journals and shared them with each other as a reading lesson.

I really did enjoy reading these old journals. They recorded the events of very ordinary days. But they reminded me of so many happy moments that we forget so quickly. They reminded me of the pure joy that comes from the most mundane activity when those moments are shared with those you love. I cannot change the course of the world. I do grieve with those who are suffering through devastating events. I can pray, I can donate, I can refrain from adding to the evil rhetoric. But I refuse to quit living every day in a positive way.

So I make yet another promise to myself. I will try to be diligent in my journal-keeping commitment. As an anti-toxin to a poisonous world, I must stop, enjoy, and record the things and the people that put the WOW in my world, the HAP in my happiness, the LOVE into all that is lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment