Sunday, January 16, 2011

Smiles

I simply can't stay in my January funk. The dear people around me just won't let it happen. Today was a lovely day. The sun was shining on the crisp white snow, and frozen fog clung to the trees. I even was able to take my "winter" shot for my four seasons in Redbud collection.

This morning we drove to Muncie to have a visit with Mother at the Golden Living Center. She was good, and never fails to give us some of her unselfish gifts. One gift is that she remains happy. And that says a lot when you are in an Alzheimer's unit. Her room is bright and cheerful. She keeps it neat and tidy. She gets up every morning and dresses neatly, complete with beads and ear rings. She is always delighted to see us ----whoever we are----she just knows that we are the two people she really loves.

Don always plays the "can you tell me who these people are" game with all her pictures. She can identify herself in the pictures where she is very young. Don is just the "Boy" or the "baby." In pictures of Mother and Corky, she says that it is "mother and daddy". Today she said they were "Mudder and Dadder." Then we all had a good laugh. Sadly, she usually says that I am her grandmother when she sees my picture. She doesn't seem to match anyone of us with our pictures. She is always excited to see my wedding/engagement rings, and asks if we are going to get married. She so wants us to get married, even though I tell her each time that we have been married going on 54 years, the message just doesn't get through. I am just pleased that she still loves me enough to want us to get married. She has always been my champion.

Last week on Sunday we had her 91st birthday party. She loved opening her gifts. But she never remembers that those new things are hers. She refuses to wear any new clothes, so her new outfit will just hang in the closet. She was upset that her new bed spread was on her bed, and happily has the old one back in its proper place. She has evidently given her new hand cream away. It is no where to be found. Oh well, we had fun giving and seeing her unwrap. We knew this is the way it would be.

Don and I had "singles and fries" at Steak and Shake in Muncie for lunch. The waitress was very slow. She said that their dishwasher was broken, and they had lots of folks in the back doing dishes. I said that was just tragic. Anyway, it would be tragic if it happened at our house.

This afternoon I made potato soup, corn bread muffins, and a honey-bun cake. We had
sister-in-law, Janie, over for supper. She brought us the most beautiful calligraphy certificate awarded to my dad for his service in World War I. Evidently Clyde had had it in with other papers. I love it, and think it should be framed. I am thrilled to have it. Janie seemed to really enjoy her supper. I know that Don and I did. The soup I made was delicious. Janie loves bread, and she ate three corn bread muffins! Wow, I could only down one of those. Anyway, she was too full for cake, so I sent two pieces home with her for tomorrow.

We also smiled because the Jets beat the Patriots. Yes, yes, I know. It was the Jets who beat our Colts. But we have a long-time dislike of those Patriots. Don was glad that the Bears won. I think that is okay, too. But I cheered for Seattle because I know that daughter-in-law Debra, who is from Washington, wanted them to win
so badly. Sorry, Debra, no Colts and no Sea Hawks this year.

Is anyone else sick of the filthy- mouthed, bad acting Hollywood crowd? I watched a tiny bit of the Golden Globes, and the whole mess sickened me. I was more than happy to turn to PBS and watch the next episode of Downton Manor. I love Masterpiece
Theatre, and this new story is excellent.

All in all, a day full of smiles. And, oh yes, Cheryl dropped in for a short visit, too. Now that always brings smiles to our faces. Thank you to all you dear ones who made this January Sunday so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment